beech creek

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on October 04, 2002 at 13:33:30:

In Reply to: Re: Guntersville turnin over? posted by Kerry Grissett on October 03, 2002 at 22:54:34:

Kerry - I figured an ol' pan fisherman like you would know where every bridge on the lake is! ;) Beech Creek is the backwater area of Brown's Creek. The Beech Creek bridge gives up some good crappie every year, but it is only 5-6 feet deep or so depending on the lake level. The water temp has to be just right because of the shallow depth and I guess the fish swim way out to sea when the temperatures reach upper and lower limits?? The whole area near the Beech Creek boat ramp and bridge is a big shallow flat. Beech Creek used to be THE place to crappie fish 15 years ago when the fished moved up shallow to spawn, but the milfoil has taken over and things seem to have changed - at least for me.

There is an old roadbed further back into the Brown's Creek backwaters at "the cowpasture" near a small island that is excellent wade-fishing for bluegill in the spring. I guess we must have caught bazillions of bluegill in that stumpy backwater when we were in high school. You can drive back there and park if you can find the access road which might be full of ruts as I recall.

I would only launch a small boat at the Beech Creek ramp, and would be very careful in those backwaters because they are VERY stumpy once you pass the Beech Creek bridge and all of those boat houses!

Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]