Bank fishing below Wheeler, Spring Creek and around Decatur

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on September 19, 2002 at 22:02:21:

I went back to the spot where I caught a few keeper crappie yesterday

( http://home.hiwaay.net/~ksgrisse/wwwboard/messages/6615.html )

and I only caught 3 tiny crappie about 3 inches long.

After replacing the wheel bearings on my boat trailer (Thanks Ernie, Rick and Bruce at Anderson's boats in Decatur!) I decided to take a trip to see what was happening below Wheeler dam. I fished for about 45 minutes at the first inlet you come to when you drive below the dam. I caught several small yellow stripe at the mouth of this inlet, fishing from the concrete structures, but nothing of any size. I walked back to where a culvert allows a stream to enter the inlet and saw several LM bass about 1 - 3 pounds and some bigger fish I didn't recognize at first. They turned out to be saltwater stripe! There wasn't a lot of flow coming out of that pipe, but there were about 10 or 12 salts from about 4 - 8 pounds just swimming around and acting like they were trying to spawn or something. I tried throwing a jig at them, but all they did was run from it. They were in water about 1-2 feet deep and it was clear enough to easily recognize the fish as salts once you got the glare off of the water with polarized sun glasses. There were also about a dozen suckers hanging around the same area. As I said, I didn't catch anything in this area, but there were 3 other fellows catching a few fairly decent bream in the opposite corner.

I left there and drove over to Spring Creek thinking there might be some stripe action. BTW, for those of you who may be interested, The Dam Store is open again. I think they re-opened this past July.

At the Spring creek bridge (about 4:30pm) the water was flowing out fairly quickly. There were several people fishing and I shortly saw one of them land a smallie about 4 pounds. Beautiful fish! I think the lure he was using had some sort of spinner on it, but I couldn't tell from where I was standing. I managed to catch 2 bluegill, one 3/4 pound smallie, a crappie about 7-8 inches, and a hybrid stripe about 2 - 2.5 pounds. Also hooked a small LM or Spotted bass, but it got off before I could land it.

As usual, in all of the places above I was fishing a 16th oz lead head jig with a bass assassin. Color was crystal shad. I guess I just fish whatever I have on the end of my line most of the time and this little jig is on there MOST of the time. (grin)

Whew! I was long winded tonight! (smile)

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]