Re: Trout fishing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shad Lips on August 20, 2002 at 15:26:29:

In Reply to: Trout fishing posted by Dan Johnson on August 20, 2002 at 09:00:26:

Welcome to Alabama! I'm an avid trout fisherman too but we're pretty much out of luck as far as catching any quality trout around here. The Sipsey River below Smith Lake Dam is our only river system with trout and it's pretty much a put and take fishery with very few holdover fish between stockings. If you are used to fishing the Cumberland River I doubt you'll want to catch the "dink" rainbows around here. I seldom fish there because 8-12" trout don't get me too fired up.

I have 4 favorite trout fishing "honey-holes" but they all require some travel. My favorite is the Little Red River in the Arkansas Ozarks. Next would be Dukes Creek which is by reservation only near Helen, Georgia and is strictly catch and release. Chilhowee and Calderwood Lakes south of Townsend, Tennessee on the Little Tennnessee River have some excellent fish also. The closest place to home is the Elk River where it flows out of Tims Ford Dam in Tennessee. Unfortunately the Elk has fewer quality fish than any of the other places mentioned above.

In a nutshell, if you want some big trout you will have to travel for them. I would suggest Arkansas' Little Red River if you've never tried it because it is the best place I have ever fished for trout -- other than Alaska. If traveling a long distance isn't your thing maybe you should think about trying for other species. Alabama has got some of the best largemouth (Guntersville Lake), smallmouth (Wilson & Pickwick Lakes), and crappie (Weiss Lake) fishing in the country. Good Luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]