Re: looking fora a good fish and ski boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on August 08, 2002 at 10:11:25:

In Reply to: looking fora a good fish and ski boat posted by PATRICK WOOTEN on August 07, 2002 at 21:37:33:

How much money do you want to spend?? Triton makes the SF models for ski and fish, but they also make a FS model which puts fish before ski. I believe it only comes in the 19' model (SF19). As I recall, rod storage was one of the more significant changes, and the front deck was extended rather than a "bow rider" configuration. However, I can't recall if the rod box will hold a 6-1/2 or 7 foot rod?

I bought a NEW 2000 model Skeeter fish-n-ski this year, the SL176 with Yamaha 150, for $16k with new factory warranty for boat (1 year) and motor (2 year with extensions available). There is no rod box and only one storage box on each side of the bow. I have to place the rods beside the front seats sticking up and leaning on the rear deck. It does, however, have a teakwood floor panel for ski storage as well as a ski tow-bar that mounts over the rear deck using the rear seat pedestal base and some support bars. The livewells are in the very back of the boat on each side and kinda small. Not convenient at all if you ever pan fish or fish for anything of quantity such as white bass since your partner has to move and open the livewell and catch fish all at the same time. Even if you get the big Triton SF21, you have to decide if you want a comfortable rear bench seat or a big livewell conveniently located between the rear seats.

Most fishermen hate the windshield on a F/S. I have never snagged it, and it is very handy when fishing in the cold spring months. The late afternoon ride home where your partner swallows a quart of bugs will be better too. However, when landing a fish and getting assitance from a partner, the windshield can sometimes be a little awkward. I still don't understand why they haven't made a F/S with a removable windshield and larger rod box(es).

You will have to establish your priorities and make a few sacrifices one way or the other. And if you fish shallow water, the big boats are on the large side.. not to mention pricey! However, my Skeeter SL176 gets in some pretty shallow water and has little problem crossing river ledges. Nice used F/S boats seem to be hard to find, especially the SF21 Tritons.

Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]