Weiss Lake Fishing Report for 8-8-2002

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Weiss Lake Guide Service on August 07, 2002 at 19:05:27:

DATE: 8-8-02
LAKE LEVEL: 562.8
NORMAL FULL POOL: 564.0
SURFACE TEMP: mid 90's
WATER CLARITY: Good

CRAPPIE: Still catching a few fishing at night with live bait under bridges.Lot of short fish.

BASS: Bass fishing has changed this week. I sat down and talked to Harry in detail and the winners of the Weiss Lake Bass fishing
tournament.What was working and what wasn't. Keith and Harry were basically on the same pattern and they came in 1 and 2 in the
tournament. The smaller fish were 4-6 feet off the old river channel. Harry picked up bigger fish from 12-16 feet down.Starting
throwing a Pose 400, changed over from Carolina rig to Texas rig and starting catching some pretty good fish.Keith & Harry both
culling 3lb. fish by mid day.This isn't bad for the dog days of summer.

WHITE BASS: White bass doing pretty good in the mouth of Spring and Cowan Creeks.Also the big sand bar out from Hawg
Island.A few showing up late at the old cotton gin.A few showing up in Godfrey's Island between the two points.I believe that if you
put your boat in the water and just idle around watch the surface and you depth finder and you should find them.

STRIPE: I have been out with back surgery but Harry & Butch are good fishermen along with Stan Reynolds.The stripe are real
spotty.In years gone by when they get real spotty I have found them up the Chatooga, third island up.But you need a pretty small
boat and motor to get there.And you might ought to take your cell phone with you. The water temp up the Chatooga should be
around 68-70 degrees.Also have caught them in north Spring Creek from the last boat dock back.WARNING, if you busting in there
wide open I can guarantee you that you will be having a one half off prop sale and maybe even your boat.I go in there on an
idle,trimmed out and I still bump stumps.Surface temp up there the further you go it will get down in the upper 60's. Just be careful
because the lake is down almost 2 feet.

CATFISH: Lot of jug fishing going on at night. I can see them from my back porch. You can ride around the lake and see jug fishing
all over the place.Trot lining in deep water.Bank fishing where accessible to deep water. Best bait is still cut shad. But the will even
bight a piece of hot dog. There are about like I am, when I get hungry I will take about whatever I can get.

I know a lot of you fishermen that read the fishing report really don't care about what catfish are doing but you would be amazed
the number of email we get for talking about their favorite sport.We also get emails from bank fisherman about it.
Lets talk a little bit about kids and carp.Some of these carp go 25-30 lbs and are line busting, rod jerking fish.Kids really don't care
whether it is a carp or a bass, they just like to catch them.You can bait you up a few places with cheep dog food and keep it baited
and they will be there anytime you want them.Carp are super bad for the lake and it is a resource that nobody fishes for.They will
devastate a crappie bed along with bream and bass. We need to get rid of them and I don't know how.All you bow hunters come on
down and get out there with your spot light and shoot some of these suckers.Whether you fish Weiss Lake or not this is a problem all
over the country.

As always if you get down here and need help do not hesitate to give me a call.It is about time for the big bream to be biting on
Guntersville. Cheryl and I are going to try to make a trip over there next week, back willing.Will let you now about the bream just as
soon as I know that they are there.Believe it or not in about 30-45 days we will start getting into fall fishing.I have all of the summer
I want!
Thanks, Steve 256-927-6617 www.weisslakeguideservice.com
For you that didn't see last weeks report that had the winners in the Weiss Lake Bass Fishing Tournament her are the results again.
1) Andy Killgore & Keith Field 18.63
2) Harry Richardson & Stan Reynolds 16.44
3) Gerald Frost & Earl Simpson Jr. 15.04
4) Brian Shook & Kevin Brown 14.95
5) Mike Farmer & Brandon Hurst 14.20

This was a 110 boat tournament with a 5 fish limit.
Big fish was 6.58 by Wayne Killgore & Shane Stewart

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]