Weiss Lake Fishing Report for 8-3-2002

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Weiss Lake Guide Service on August 02, 2002 at 13:43:38:

DATE: 8-3-02
LAKE LEVEL: 562.9
NORMAL FULL POOL: 564.0
SURFACE TEMP: mid 90's
WATER CLARITY: Good

I apologize for the long wait for a fishing report.I Had major back surgery and I am not able to go fishing but, I am able to talk to
some of the locals that are quite reliable along with Butch and Harry my 2 partners.This fishing report should be very accurate.

CRAPPIE: Still catching a few night fishing around the bridges with live bait.

BASS: Bass fishing is still pretty good early and late.The majority of the bass fishing that is productive is the old river channel edge.
Pig-n-Jig is working well. Purple seems to be the best color.Also, crankbaits using a Pose 300. Soft plastics Carolina rigged, also
purple the best color.
The annual Weiss Lake Championship for bass is being held on Weiss Lake this Saturday the 3rd. I will let you know who what and
how when it is over.Harry is going to represent Weiss Lake Guide Service in this tournament.I hope he does well.

WHITE BASS: White bass seem to be back as good or better than they have ever been. White bass in numbers in the mouth of
Spring Creek where it meets Cowan Creek. To the left of pole 23 out to the edge of the big sandbar.Some white bass have been
showing up between poles 18 and 20.
Also Cornwall Furnace area in the Chatooga.Also in front of the dam. When they are in the jumps, a couple of Mrs. Cheryl's 1/16
jigs on a float seem to be doing good. Also white Rooster Tail or Chartreuse.Midget Ratl Trap. If they are not in the jumps try
trolling for them with a 1/16 jig run back a good piece behind the boat. Here again white and chartreuse seem to be the colors.

STRIPE: Stripes are a big question. I have talked to a lot of people and they are not where they ought to be. I have been told by a
pretty good source that there is a bunch of them run up the Chatooga. But unless you have a small shallow draft boat do not
attempt this. In years gone by, the good fishing starts from the 3rd island above Gaylesville bridge. The water temp there should be
in the high 70's but will get colder the further you go up.I have been to the 3rd island in my 22 foot Ranger, but not now as we are
approx. 2 foot low. Best bait is live shad, gold and black 3 inch red fins also good. Most of the fish are 10 plus.

CATFISH: The majority of catfish are being taken after dark.Trot lines and jugs.Bank fishermen can do well if they can get close to
the old river channel or around any fish cleaning station that has a lot of activity.

It is hot and dry.But if you have an itch and can't stop from going, come on. Keep this in mind, the lake is 2 foot low. Be very
careful if you get out of the channel unless you know the lake awful good. It is just about the right time of year to have a 1/2 off
prop sale. If you are launching from Rooster's in Cowan Creek, be careful of the old roadbed that you have to go over to get to the
old channel.If you are launching out of Riverside be super careful going into any of the coves.All the coves upriver have one way in
and one way out only. Don't be bashful by asking for a little help before you go. Before you call or email be sure you have a good
lake map. If you are launching out of Bay Springs, there is not allot in that area to hurt you.If you are launching out of JR's, most of
the really bad places in that area are marked. There has been a report of some pretty good white bass activity out of JR's between
pole 4 & 2. If you get out there and get into trouble and need some help just call me. 256-927-6617
Thanks, Steve
www.weisslakeguideservice.com

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]