BOATING SAFETY COURSES

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Louis T. on July 15, 2002 at 06:28:56:

I just read about a tragic accident concerning a pontoon and a bass boat on the Warrior River.Boating safety courses came into mind. When the Alabama legislature passed mandatory boating safety courses in 1994,( not to be fully enforced until 2000)the state took a big step forward.You could take these courses from any local chapter of the Alabama Power Squadron or the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary. I took my course through the Auxiliary at Redstone Arsenal.It was about a 6 week course and costs $12.00.. They taught us everything from how to read buoys to tying different line knots. We would study 3 chapters in our manuals,work in a workbook at home ,and come back the next week and take a test on what we studied.We would then moved on to the next lessons.These were actually classes... Now all you have to do is send for a study manual, read it , and take an OPEN BOOK TEST.. I have to admit this is better than nothing,but if you really want to learn all of the rules of the waterways,take the time to learn boating safety courses through the Alabama Power Squadron or the Coast Guard Auxiliary. It may help you to "more prevent" the seriousness of an accident or even death on our waterways.Let us all (pleasure boaters and bass fishermen alike) keep Alabama's waterways safe and fun for all. We do not want to be at the top of the national list for the most mishaps on our waters.........

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]