Re: loose rivets

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on June 30, 2002 at 20:41:38:

In Reply to: loose rivets posted by Dub WHITWORTH on June 30, 2002 at 14:01:38:

Short of replacing the rivets, you might try JBWeld. Use the long cure product NOT the quick cure! Make sure to prep the area on and around the rivet head completely before applying the JBWeld!!! This will involve sanding the area(s) to "rough" them up so that the JBWeld will bond properly. You also HAVE to have a DRY boat to start with. Any moisture under the JBWeld will ruin your efforts!

If you aren't going to prep the areas properly, then don't waste your time applying the product.

I have applied it using a finger to dip into the well mixed product and then spreading it in a circular motion making sure to press out any and all bubbles or air pockets. You can apply the JBWeld in this method with the hull facing down, eliminating the need to turn the boat over (upside down) and gravity will help to create a nice, smooth surface around the rivet head about an inch or so around the rivet head.

If the rivets are REALLY loose, then I wouldn't try this method. In that case, replacement or re-tamping of the rivet(s) is probably necessary and I don't have any experience in that area.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]