Re: wheeler saltwater stripes and hybrids????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shad Lips on June 24, 2002 at 10:18:10:

In Reply to: wheeler saltwater stripes and hybrids???? posted by chum on June 24, 2002 at 09:35:40:

I've always had my best luck with stripers and hybrids below the dams because they are easier to pattern when current is present. I fish below Guntersville Dam in the upper reaches of Wheeler Lake if I'm fishing on the Tennessee River, simply because it is close to home. I have also found some good concentrations of them around bridge pilings in G-ville Lake as long as there was plenty of current. I usually free line a threadfin shad (yellowtail) there and I use a weight when fishing tailraces. I would think that you could catch stripers in the mid to lower part of Wheeler around bridge pilings in or near the channel. Lately the yellowtails seem to be hit or miss when I'm trying to catch some bait. I spent over two hours Saturday just waiting on some shad to swim by so I could throw my net. It was about as fun as watching paint dry!

My best success in open water for stripers has been on Tims Ford Lake in Tennessee which isn't too far away. This time of year they can be found on main lake points near the dam. The water is so clear you'll have to fish at night, dawn, or dusk in order to catch them on freelined live bait. Lots of the locals troll with downriggers fished from 60-120 feet deep although I'm not sure what artificial baits they use.

The stripers are obviously still in the Tennessee River but my experiences have taught me that big numbers of them won't be caught until the water cools off again in the fall. Good Luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]