Re: panfish poppers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on June 20, 2002 at 22:50:32:

In Reply to: panfish poppers posted by Craig on June 20, 2002 at 16:23:55:

Hey Craig,

I have been having a hard time finding quality fish around the hatches myself, but I haven't had the boat out in a while either.

Sometimes it is simply a matter of popper color and then again, sometimes they simply want a willowfly. You should try an artificial willowfly. The ones made by Betts are easy enough to find, but they don't last long so buy more than one! I have had good luck sometimes using a popping bug with an artificial willowfly attached to it by a leader. Tie the popping bug on as you normally would and take from one to two feet of leader (same line on your reel if you like) and tie one end to the bend in the hook of your popper using a trilene knot. Then tie the other end to the artificial willowfly. The length of the leader can vary... experiment!

Also, make sure to get a small bottle of fly dressing. Vaseline or oil from the bridge of you nose works well also. If the fish seem to want the fly on top, then use the dressing often. If they seem to like the fly under the surface, don't use it. Simple. (grin)

Last year I also had luck with the Keystone minnow during fly hatches, but not much luck this year so far.

I hope this helps you catch a boat load!

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]