Re: Willowflies on Guntersville

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on June 11, 2002 at 00:39:57:

In Reply to: Willowflies on Guntersville posted by TroyJ on June 10, 2002 at 21:26:14:

Hey Troy,

I have heard reports of some willowfly hatches on Guntersville and Wheeler, but no major hatches have been reported so far. I haven't seen any major hatches myself, but I haven't had the boat out in quite a while either. I am mainly watching the Hwy31 causeway at Decatur as my indicator of activity.

I am still holding to my prediction that they will be about 1-2 weeks late compared to last year based solely on temperatures, both water and air temps. Last year I saw the fist major hatch at the Hwy31 causeway (Decatur) on June 1. Only a couple of small hatches there so far this year.

We had an extended cool period and more rain this year compared to last year during the same time and, IMHO, this has kept the mud, where the larval mayflies stay for most of the year, from warming up as quickly.

I think we should start seeing major hatches some time during this week or next and probably by this weekend, but I guess I am sticking my neck out on that prediction. (grin)

In any case,

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: