Re: G-ville Dam

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shad Lips on May 18, 2002 at 20:46:06:

In Reply to: Re: G-ville Lake- Stripers,Hybrids, Spotted Bass posted by Brock Lang on May 18, 2002 at 17:43:25:

For me the striper/hybrid fishing below G-ville has been pretty lousy this spring. You can catch all you want in the 4-9 pound range but the bigger fish are harder to come by lately. Maybe this cool spell will turn them on for a change.

Catch some yellowtails with a dip net, wall basket, or cast net and keep them in a large aerated cooler/container. Don't overcrowd them or they'll die like flies. A little "non-iodized" salt will make their scales tough and harder to come off, and keep fresh water on them periodically since they make ammonia build up in the water due to stress. Salt added should be about 1/4 cup to 15 gallons of water. If it is warm weather put a 20 oz bottle of frozen water in the container to keep them alive longer.

I use a Carolina type rig with an egg sinker(3/8 up to 3/4 oz), swivel, about 20" leader with a 1/0 to 4/0 hook. Use just enough weight to bump bottom every few feet. I always make a quartering cast upstream from the bank or from the boat. Keep your drag set fairly loose because the big ones will rip the hook from their mouths on the initial run they make. I use no less than 14# line and up to 20# depending on the size I'm catching. You'll need pretty good reels and rods when you go because a big fish will DESTROY low quality tackle. I've witnesed other folks zebco spincasting reels explode on several occasions! I use large capacity baitcasting reels with a minimum of 160 yds of line spooled on them.

I've been spooled many times by "Moby" while bank fishing below the dam. It's a sick feeling watching all the line rapidly disappear from your spool knowing that you are powerless to stop it. From a boat you can chase them down to wind some line back on your spool. Fish directly in the current or in the eddy water seams just out of the main current from the powerhouse to about 400-500 yards downstream.

Use the link on this web site to access TVA's generation schedule--If they are not generating don't waste your time. Wide open turbines mean you should concentrate your efforts starting at least 100 yds from the powerhouse. Periods of lower generation mean you should start as close to the turbine boils as possible. That is a good rule of thumb from the bank or a boat.

If you see someone else catching fish when you or no one else is, you should stop fishing for a few minutes and watch them very closely. Sometimes subtle presentation differences make or break a fishing trip. Don't be afraid to ask them a question because many times they'll be willing to share some information with you. Good Luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]