Klez computer virus and email attachments

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on May 11, 2002 at 22:50:10:

Although this might be considered "off-topic", everyone who uses the internet, email and this forum should be concerned about computer viruses.

I have been receiving 2 to 6 emails a day with the Klez virus attached. I have also received several messages, mostly automated emails sent by some virus scanner software, that have picked up my email address from messages with attachments containing this virus.

For the record: To the best of my knowledge my system is NOT infected with the Klez or any other virus. Also, the NAFF site is not infected with any virus.

The Klez and other viruses often make use of the address books in the computers they infect and send out messages from that infected computer that "look" like they are from someone else. So, don't be too sure that any message you receive, especially with an attachment, is really from the return email address that appears on the message.

Apparently, as has been the case for quite a while now, MS Outlook Express email software is the main culprit for allowing viruses, evil macros, trojans, etc. to get into peoples computers. (Thanks a LOT Bill Gates!)

If you don't have a virus scanner, GET ONE!!! If you are low on funds, then here is a quick and free way to obtain a scanner.

Go to the link at the top of the NAFF message board index for "Internet Security and Privacy" and then click on the link for AVG Free Anti-Virus software.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]