Re: Flathead Cats on TN river?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shane on May 06, 2002 at 22:43:13:

In Reply to: Re: Flathead Cats on TN river? posted by jd on May 06, 2002 at 13:41:52:

I have never really fished for them here, but I can tell you from a biological standpoint that flatheads relate very heavily to timber--an older study done in Miss. found something like a 78% correlation between flatheads and large woody debris (big trees to the rest of us). There are plenty of flatheads on the TN, but they also like large "wild" creeks--ones that are not always the easiest to navigate due to trees, etc. We caught huge (50lb +, using hoop nets) in a creek in Miss. not much bigger than flint--so upriver on flint creek should have some large ones. The world record came from wilson lake, and im sure the other chain lakes here have HUGE flatheads. Try upriver towards guntersville dam--look for big bends in the river with an 'eddy effect' in the bend with big timber hung there. Live bait is essential--sometimes folks use 1lb or bigger carp or buffalo, but green sunfish and bluegill work good too.

I can tell ya for sure that they are good eatin!! Even the ones over 10lb still taste real good.

Shane

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]