Re: Guntersville Bream Report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on May 05, 2002 at 23:40:35:

In Reply to: Re: Guntersville Bream Report posted by Snapperking on May 05, 2002 at 21:17:01:

Although I haven't had much luck and haven't been out in my boat lately due to leaking, you are right on about shellcrackers.

If the weeds, grass, vegetation is in shallow water (2 or 3 feet or less) you can sometimes see the vegetation move on the surface where they shellies are bedding. I think the best time for shellcrackers is over, but that is not to say that some good ones are not still out there to be caught. It will just take a lot more work and luck.

I am hoping to get out in a boat sometime this week. My boat is leaking again and the wheel bearings on the trailer are making one tire wear funny, so I have been "banking" it with VERY limited success.

One note is that the mayflies (willowflies) should be hatching about the first of June (give or take a week depending on weather and temperature) on Wheeler, at least. The bream should be hitting really good once the hatch is on although the size isn't usually as big as during the bedding. Also, some smallmouth will be caught. I like to use a fly rod and popping bug or artificial mayfly, or a keystone minnow on closed face spinning reel.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]