Re: Bait for Smith Lake

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TODD GOODWIN on May 05, 2002 at 09:19:21:

In Reply to: Bait for Smith Lake posted by Rckmn on May 03, 2002 at 16:20:22:

You are reallt not going to catch any shad on smith worth using for striper fishing.One place I have caught shad before leaving B`ham is below logan martin dam,where gizzard shad are readily caught.The trick is keepin em alive long enough to fish with em.You`ll need an insulated,aerated tank-large enough to hold alot of h20.I built one consisting of a 55gal plastic drum with a 35 gal drum set down inside it.Use great stuff spray foam to insulate between the drums,cut the tops out before you start and make a lid out of some hinges.Aerate with avery big aerator and make a "T" piece out of 1/2" pvc.Drill holes in outer arms of "t" so they spray down on h2o surface,take extra battery to run aerator in transport.monitor h2o temp with aquarium thermometer,cool with ice/rock salt to about 68 degrees.Some experimentation is necsessary.DON`T OVERCROWD THE TANK!!3-4 dozen at best.An easier way is to just buy them at Seegle`s marina for 14$/doz,they are really good shad,I fished with some last week and one stayed out on my rod,on pier from 7a.m. til 0100 the next a.m.,just as lively as ever-good luck,try pier lights in deep h2o

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]