Weiss Lake Fishing Report for 5-1-2002

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Weiss Lake Guide Service on May 01, 2002 at 22:07:08:

DATE: 05-01-02
LAKE LEVEL: 564.2
NORMAL FULL POOL: 564.0
SURFACE TEMP: 71 in am - 78 in pm
WATER CLARITY: Good

CRAPPIE: About the time you think you have everything figured out, guess what? you ain't! Catching a few . I saw 2 kids today
behind Bay Springs with a basket full of crappie fishing a foot deep. For me, I am flapping.I have basically been bream fishing and
given up on crappie but they might yet fool me.Wouldn't be the first time nor the last.But, as you know, on Weiss Lake this spring
has been pretty skinny. About the middle of May you should do pretty good at night under the bridges with lanterns and minnows.I
will post If I have more info on crappie.Talked with Dan Catchings with DNR and he tells me that the creel study done on Weiss
Lake to check the spawn for 2001 has shown that we have had the second best spawn in the history of the lake for crappie.And he is
also very optimistic about this year.

BASS: Picking up some pretty good bass and some buck bass in the back ends of the coves Texas rigged using lizards and 6 inch
worms.Most of these fish in the back of the coves are largemouth.Spots are still out on the humps in 4-6 feet of water Carolina
rigged with french fry worms.Dan Catchings also said we had the best bass spawn ever on Weiss Lake in 1999.This year should be a
very good year for bass.

BREAM: Bream on Guntersville are strong.Males are on the beds and catch one or two females and the rest males.The big females
should come in any day.My technique for finding bream on the bed is put your boat in about 5 feet of water, use a float and a 1/64
oz jig, cast it out and pull it back to the boat slow.Crickets work great.Wax worms are better if you can find them.While the bream are
biting this good it would be a great time to put the babies (kids) in them. They will not last long.By mid month they will be about
done.

STRIPE: It has been awful windy here and I haven't been able to get out and look but I will sometime this week and let you know
what I find.

WHITE BASS: No Report

CATFISH: It is definite that you should not eat anything over 1 pound and limit your consumption to one meal a month and women
of reproductive age and children under the age of 15 should avoid eating them altogether.

CARP: Carp have gotten to the point of almost taking over our lakes.I have watched them devastate bream beds every time I am
there.If they are devastating the bream then they must be doing the same thing to crappie and bass.I am not much on wanton
destruction of wildlife but in this case we need to get rid of some of these carp.They are killing us.I don't know that anybody has
ever thought about what they do to the fish beds and how much they effect our stocks of game and pan fish. If you agree with me
about carp or have an opinion about this please post it on our message board.Any ideas you might have to get rid of some of them
would be great.

Good Fishing to everyone! Tight lines to ALL! Thanks, Steve,Cheryl,Butch & Harry 256-927-6617 www.weisslakeguideservice.com

PS: THANKS TO J.W. & CREW for the "care package".

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]