Re: Any striper/hybrid suggestions for G'ville Dam?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shad Lips on April 10, 2002 at 07:46:43:

In Reply to: Any striper/hybrid suggestions for G'ville Dam? posted by Smallie on April 09, 2002 at 21:28:11:

Live shad will usually outfish artificials by 3/1. With that said you should catch some yellowtails that are schooling along the bank, put on a 1/0 - 4/0 short shank hook with just enough weight to sink to the bottom. I usually use egg sinkers from 3/8 to 3/4 ounce, depending on the current and a swivel to prevent line twist. Fish with a lift and drop method on fairly short upstream casts to maintain bottom contact.

Sassy shad will also work. I use 4" shad with 1/2 to 3/4 oz jig heads depending on the current speed. If they are still hitting shad on the surface poppers or shallow running crankbaits are most effective for me. Be sure to use lures with at least 2X strong hooks as those beasts will straighten out regular hooks even with a pretty loose drag. Saltwater lures and hooks work best for me. I've caught a few on "fluke" type baits but I miss most of the strikes without a treble hook.

Fish as close to the powerhouse as you feel comfortable. ALWAYS wear your life preserver! It's the law and you'd be a fool not to wear one anyway. I always pull up within 30 feet of the boils from the turbines to start my drifts. Experiment with different starting places because some days the fish all seem to be stacked in specific areas. I generally concentrate on current seams in the main current but sometimes the seam along the calm water in the middle of the river will hold fish too. Good Luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]