G-ville Dam Stripe

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shad Lips on April 07, 2002 at 21:24:59:

I went this morning for a couple of hours with my 9 yr old son. The wind was really whipping up the water but the stripe were biting anyway. I couldn't find any shad because of all the chop on the water. The largest we landed was about 8 pounds but we lost several that would have weighed in the teens or twenties. It was just one of those days for us. Everybody around us in boats seemed to be catching fish too. For the first time this year I saw lots of stripe feeding on the surface. I've always caught bigger stripe fishing deep so we used Sassy Shads on 3/4 oz jig heads because they were generating at full capacity on 3 generators.

I talked to my nephew a while ago and he informed me that he caught quite a few from the bank using yellow-tails(threadfin shad). The shad were all along the bank hiding in the rip-rap which explains why I didn't find any from my boat His largest was about 8 pounds and his friend caught one about 12 pounds. A guy fishing beside him landed a 39.5 pound striper---from the bank!!!! It was weighed at Tony Cooley's store at the top of the mountain. I assume it was photographed there too.

For the next few weeks or as long as the Wheeler water level stays up it will be prime time for dozens of stripe to be caught on a single trip. In other words if you want the kinks stretched out of your line or if you don't mind getting "spooled" while trying now is the time to go. I recommend at least 17# test and don't forget to keep your drag set loose. You can always tighten up the drag after the initial run but you can't loosen it fast enough when a big striper hits. Unfortunately I'll be working from "can to can't" until the income tax filing deadline arrives. Ya'll catch some for me. Good Luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]