Follow up meeting Re: TVA public meeting

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on April 03, 2002 at 23:11:48:

In Reply to: TVA public meeting posted by alex on April 03, 2002 at 12:03:40:

As Alex said, it was better than we anticipated, but the "survey" left a LOT to be desired. In my opinion, surveys worded the way this one was worded make it very difficult to get the true opinions of those surveyed and very easy to make the results "seem" to say pretty much whatever the survey administrator wants it to.

Having said that, after the survey we were directed to quite a few laptop computers networked together on which everyone was invited to write down suggestions, comments, gripes, etc that we wanted TVA to know. I wish I had been more prepared for that part of it. I think I would have written a lot more in my comments and suggestions than I ended up writing. The main gist of what I wrote centered around the rapidly fluctuating water levels on Wheeler during the spawning period of the year which is right now and has been "trying" to happen for a few weeks already.

After that there were some TVA representatives to talk to and ask questions. Although getting complete and detailed answers may not have been possible in some cases, the people I talked to, David Nye and Wayne Poppe, did a fair job and David Nye has offered to have a follow up meeting to explain the water fluctuations on Wheeler. Specifically around the time of the FLW tournament in February and a couple of weeks after that when we didn't have any appreciable rainfall.

Anyone who would be interested in attending a meeting to hear/see the explanations of why Wheeler fluctuated during this time period should let me know by email so a time and place can be set for the meeting. Or you can contact David Nye directly at mailto:dtnye@tva.gov

In a perfect world I would have told TVA the problems we fishermen have with the rapid lake fluctuations on Wheeler and they would have said, "Hey, you're right! We'll fix that right away." But this isn't a perfect world, so I am simply trying to learn as much as I can about the cause(s) of the problem so I can understand it. I don't know if this will help to change anything in the way TVA handles Wheeler's levels, but it is a start.

Maybe by a better understanding of what and why they are doing what they are doing someone can come up with workable suggestions that can be acted on by TVA to improve the situation? Maybe not, but I often hear from fishermen "Why is TVA dropping/raising/messing with the water level on Wheeler?" Here is a chance to find out why.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]