Re: Madison County Lake

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Smallie on April 01, 2002 at 19:12:17:

In Reply to: Madison County Lake posted by Brian Danylo on April 01, 2002 at 11:31:38:

I posted this before, several weeks ago. About March 1999 I was there on one of those "dream"
days when everything was perfect(don't we all WISH
we could have more of those?) :)

Anyway, it was around 70 degrees with a very light
south breeze and high clouds, and the BIG bass were just in a major FEEDING binge! I caught several in the 3-4 pound range, several smaller fish, and one about 6 lb. Here's the kicker--I hooked and lost a bass I know had to be in the 10-11 pound class. Would have been a lake record for
certain. The instant I hooked her she COMPLETELY
cleared the water! I was in shock at the size of this bass-could have been closer to 12 pounds. But
of course, as (bad) luck would have it, she simply came unhooked as I was preparing to lip her. The crazy thing is, I was fishing from the
dad-gum BANK, more or less just fooling around
breaking in a new rod and reel! I was on one of the points towards the shallow end of the lake(won't say exactly which one). ;^)

Since then I've fished that point bunches of times in similar conditions and only caught a few
smaller fish. I know a few years ago the state
biologists shocked up a 12.5 pounder, which is the biggest I know of. I have personally seen several hawgs on the bed at MadCo that I estimate
in the 10-12 pound category, and have had a few
REALLY big ones swim literally right under my boat
when I was anchored bream fishing. My own opinion
is that there have been or are even bigger bass in the lake, but I don't think many. Either that
or they are just super-elusive, hanging in deeper
water most of the time. The lake was better years
ago when they used to fertilize often and the
water didn't have all the nasty "slimy moss" that
is now in there. I HATE that stuff!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: