Decatur bank fishing - Wheeler lake

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on March 31, 2002 at 18:52:18:

Fished from the bank thursday - sunday with my son, Stephen. Not much to tell except that it rained, rained, rained!!! Stephen did outfish me today by catching one crappie about 9.5 inches. I only caught a small bluegill. We tried just about every spot I could think of from the bank with very little luck.

As I write this Wheeler is on its way back up to summer pool levels due to the rain. The level at the dam right now (as I write this) is 554.67 and rising. (Check here for current Wheeler lake levels: http://lakeinfo.tva.gov/htbin/lakeinfo?site=WEH&DataType=All&SUBMIT=View+data ). With all the rain we have had here in North Alabama and in Tennessee, I doubt that Wheeler will be coming down any time soon even though TVA is predicting that it will actually drop by day after tomorrow. I have found that TVA's predictions for Wheeler's lake level are rarely correct. Sometimes not even close.

In any case, as the water stabilizes, there may be some pretty good bank fishing for crappie. Although I thought many of them had already spawned, the last ones I fileted still had eggs and didn't look like they were ready to "pop". Also, the water temps have fallen with the rains and the few cold nights. Hey folks, I give up on predicting what the crappie are doing or are going to do this year. This has been the worst 'spring' season I have had in years. Too unpredictable water levels and temperatures is what I blame... couldn't be me, could it? (grin) I have had a bad habit of being at the right place at the wrong time(s) quite a bit this year. (sigh)

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]