Wheeler crappie - spawn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on March 30, 2002 at 00:57:11:

Fished Wheeler tuesday late with a friend and most of the day wednesday and part of the day thursday by myself. Tuesday, we caught about 20 crappie from about 3:30 to near dark-thirty. No monsters, but it was a lot of fun to be "catching" instead of just "fishing". All of those fish were on drop off's near shallow water.

Wednesday, I got out by 8am and stayed until around 3:30 or so. Managed 26 crappie with one at 16 inches. It should have been well over 2 pounds, but my guess is about 1.75 lbs. Skinny crappie. All of those crappie were given to folks I had promised some crappie to.

Thursday, I managed 8 keepers, but had to work pretty hard for them. All were caught in 2 foot of water fishing about 1 foot deep. Kept all of these and fileted/fried them for me and my son, Stephen. (Still have some cooked filets in the refrigerator waiting to be reheated in the oven. I like them better reheated anyway! ...grin)

Although I thought the females looked like they had already spawned, when I cleaned them I found that they had plenty of eggs, but they didn't look like they were really ready to spawn. Probably because of the up and down on Wheeler and the temperature fluctuations.

The last rains, before tonight, and cool spells must have cooled the surface water quite a bit as I found 51-54 degrees, where I was finding 61-65 degrees just days before. Long story short, although I usually have a hard time after March 31 for crappie, this year will apparently be an exception.

I wish I could tell you more, but this has still been the worst "spring" crappie season for me since I got my boat in 1998.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]