Re: guntersville dam

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Shad LIps on March 25, 2002 at 12:52:50:

In Reply to: guntersville dam posted by TN Lynn on March 24, 2002 at 13:39:48:

Guntersville Dam (Wheeler headwaters) is a little dangerous now with some of the flood gates open but still fishable. Only three generators out of the four are operational now so about 37,000 cfs is maximum generation with three units working. Normally about 50,000 cfs is full load with all generators working. The only shallow "prop eating" spot is about 150 yards directly upstream from the south bank boat launch where an old pier used to be. This is only a problem during low water periods, not now. It extends straight out from a large cut in the bank for about 60 yards.

For stripers, spotted bass, and smallmouth the best fishing in my opinion is at 1/4-3/4 of full generating load. Fast water from maximum generation tends to wash baitfish downstream where they scatter, thus making it harder to locate large feeding concentrations of fish. Maybe you or someone else could give me a similar report for the headwaters of Wilson Lake since I'm planning to try for some smallmouth there in the near future. Thanks and Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]