fish sores/blemishes wormy stuff

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on March 25, 2002 at 08:22:48:

Last year there was much discussion here about fish sores and blemishes. As I recall, it seemed to be more prevalent when the weather was hot. Well, while catching white bass this weekend, I found out a possible explanation to what I have seen in the past.

My partner caught two fish that had some sort of sucker attached. They appeared to be lampreys, but I am no expert. The parasites released when both fish were pulled from the water. The first fish had a big red sore right between the eyes when the parasite let go. I bet that is one fish that was happy to be caught and released!

As for the wormy part of the story... well, let me just say that I am gonna be a catch and release person for quite a while including crappie and probably even jacks (if I were to be so lucky). I cleaned a striper that had some sort of wormy looking things (still moving very slowly) in its belly. They were stringy, about the color of earth worms, and about the diameter of small fishing line. I am not sure if this is common, but I have never seen it. Do some worms eat into the flesh or meat of fish, or is it always intestinal worms only?? Any info would be appreciated.

I have never been a squeamish person, but maybe I am changing with age. $5/lb for farm raised catfish at Kroger doesn't sound so bad anymore. :) Do y'all need fish for the April 27 get-together?? haha

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]