Florence - Pickwick lake from the bank

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on March 24, 2002 at 23:33:54:

Spent this weekend in Florence visiting my folks with my son Stephen. Didn't take the boat.

Fished Cypress creek, the barge harbor, the mouth of McFarland harbor, and the Rock Pile at the boat ramp, but didn't make the walk up to the dam there.

Hybrid stripe and white bass were hitting fairly good most everywhere. Chartreuse 4 inch twister tails seemed to be the best bait at times, although they would hit most anything when active. I saw 2 very nice smallmouths caught at the mouth of Cypress creek from the pier while fishing for stripe. They were caught on the 4 inch culry tails tipped with a minnow. Size was about 4 pounds for both and they were caught by a guy fishing from the pier.

My luck wasn't that good. I caught a few white bass and hybrids, but nothing to brag about. In any case, I am hearing that the stripe and white bass are usually hitting strong mornings and late evenings most everywhere. Smallmouths are strong on points lower down the lakes and some good ones have been taken. Not sure about what is the best bait as most of the info I have is second or third hand except for the 2 I personally saw caught.

Crappie are ON bed most everywhere. Even with the cold snap, the males had already started making nests and the females were already "ripe" for spawning. Get 'em now!!! It may not last long this year. Then again, I have been wrong so many times this year... (sigh)

Lake levels on Wheeler have dropped DRAMATICALLY and are predicted to fall dramatically over the next 2 days. Did I predict this in earlier messages? I think I did. Pickwick has also fallen, but not like Wheeler. I think Wilson also experienced a sudden drop, but I haven't followed it as closely. Not a good thing this time of year...

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]