G'ville dam report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on March 24, 2002 at 18:47:35:

I showed up on Sunday morning, and of course, talk at the tackle shop was that "you should have been here yesterday (Saturday)!" If someone was there Saturday, please fill us in.

Flood gates were open on each side of the dam, so we eased in between them at about 8 am. The water was rough, but at least I didn't feel as crazy as the guys in an aluminum boat doing the same. Caught a 9-13 salt, a 5-9 hydbrid, and a 4-2 hybrid. The fish shut off for us after about an hour.

Went down river and caught white bass until we just simply got sick of catchin' 'em and decided to call it a day around 1 pm. Ultralight tackle made it super fun. There might have been a two pounder, but most were under a pound. It seems that about every 10th fish was a good keeper, but I threw the big FAT females back. They were about to spawn in a few days it appeared. Those little suckers surely can fight. My partner was complaining about his wrist getting tired. He wants to go home when the fish aint bitin', and wants to go home when they are bitin' too good... geezzzzz..... It was a good problem to have. My guess is that white bass are under bridges and concentrated in other places too.

Great time to take a kid fishing!!! Not much skill required when they are biting on every cast. Just fish slow with a small jig... don't reel it too fast... and twitch or or jerk it every now and then when it is near the bottom. If you jerk too much and reel too fast, get ready for the skipjack bite... they are pretty hot too for a desperate kid or someone that just likes to catch anything... I suppose. I am pooped.

Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]