Re: Some one who can Fix Johnson motor???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charlie Garrett on March 24, 2002 at 12:43:28:

In Reply to: Some one who can Fix Johnson motor??? posted by Snapperking on March 23, 2002 at 19:16:29:

Some of the suggestions I've seen posted are probably close to the problem. I doubt it's temperature related, because it will crank again in 2-5 minutes, not enough time for a decent cool-down.

Most likely the carburetor, or something in the fuel system. If it's idling OK, and getting on plane, the high and low jets are probably ok. But it's starving for fuel. So the float could be sticking and once you burn the gas in the bowl, it dies, then normal positive presure in the gas tank slowly fills it up again.
Water in the gas could also be problem, but doesn't sound right since it runs again shortly.
ALso check for kinked fuel line, bad sqeeze bulb, or anything that would restrict fuel from getting to carb. If nothing, it's in the carb.

Trace the fuel line to the side of the block and remove the screw for a small filter screen, and see if it's clogged. If any trash is there,
then it's probably gotten to the carb.

I live in South Huntsville and would be happy to take a look at it. I been working on boat motors
for over 20 years as a hobby. I haven't found one
yet that couldn't be fixed. You may have to take me fishing for payment!!

Charlie Garrett
880-0208 home

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]