Wheeler crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on March 21, 2002 at 23:38:17:

I don't know what this cold spell is going to do, but today I caught 9 of the blackest crappie (all males showing spawning display) that I have ever caught. They were in very shallow water (less than 3 feet) with millfoil and algae near the top. This was in a small backwater "pond", so I can't say that all fish on Wheeler are at this stage of spawning, but I would think most of them are either in or staged near the shallow water right now. Of course, with the high 20's tonight and only 45 for the high tomorrow and down to 25 tomorrow night they will probably push out to deeper water, but I don't think they will run far if the males are already making beds.

The fish were caught on various jigs fished 6 inches under a cork. Yes, 6 inches. Also, I have had reports that they are moving shallow on other lakes in North Alabama. I am still hoping for at least one more banner day of crappie fishing this season, but I am not optimistic given my lousy luck so far. I've been in the right places at the wrong times too many times this year. (sigh)

In any case, I hope this info is helpful!

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]