Re: WHERE CAN I CATCH THE MOST FISH

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on March 21, 2002 at 12:39:36:

In Reply to: WHERE CAN I CATCH THE MOST FISH posted by TIM H on March 21, 2002 at 11:35:07:

Do not care what kind? Including non-game fish? You can catch 1-3 pound "skip jacks" below guntersville dam (upper wheeler lake) until your arm falls off. If you don't know what they are, some people jokingly call them Alabama Tarpon since they do resemble the tarpon, but do not get very big like a tarpon. They like to jump and put up a good struggle, especially in the current with light tackle. When I was a kid, it was a blast. Now I fight to keep the critter off my bait when stripe fishing. If you start jerking a jig through the water, watch out! My brother was joking around the other day and started jerking like he was seeking a skip jack bite, and bam, a 4-5 pound hybrid striper. A spoon ripped through the water near the surface will get 'em too, but might be hard for a young person or a female (i.e. my wife) to reel fast enough to keep a bait near the surface.

With the flood water receding soon, and temps on the rebound, I would put my money on tailwaters below dams for April 1 numbers of fish. You did not say if you have a boat, but the south side of Guntersville dam seems best to me for bank fishing. Cooley Grocery at the top of the mountain on the south side has everything you need and can give you some tips on what is hot. You can expect catfish, drum, any of 3 species of stripers, bream, crappie, smallmouth, or spotted bass depending on bait, technique, and location.

If you are a good crappie fisherman... well, good or not, you need some luck. Fish REAL early and fish often. The best bite is often over by 8 am under the bridges. Crappie should be spawning by then and bream activity may be on the rise too on the lakes.

Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]