Re: ?? for Kerry or others.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on March 20, 2002 at 21:59:29:

In Reply to: ?? for Kerry or others. posted by Blake on March 20, 2002 at 09:55:06:

I use them on 16th oz jig heads most of the time. Sometimes under a small cork and sometimes tight-line depending on where I am fishing. In shallow water I use them under a cork and either jig them or use a slow steady retrieve. You have to let the fish tell you how they want them worked. In deeper water and sometimes around laydowns, I go often go tight-line and let the jig fall along the laydown, lifting and letting it fall. The hit will come on the fall in almost all cases except the slow retrieve method.

Colors are pretty much the same... let the fish tell you what they want. Some good colors to start with are crystal shad, chartreuse/glitter, arkansas shiner, electric chicken, limetreuse, chartreuse/woodpecker. Well, I have caught crappie on every color they make and tend to use brighter colors in stained water and more neutral colors in clearer water, in general.

One note on corks. I use the smallest torpedo shaped cork that will still float the jig unless I have to cast long distances. Then I will use a weighted cork. I think using the smaller cork helps to not spook the fish and when using just the 16th oz jig head, the very small cork doesn't act like a parachute, so I can cast it a fairly long way.

Hook size for me is #4 - EagleClaw 570 jig hook. If you don't pour your own, you should be able to find this size jig head readily available just about anywhere in 16th oz. #6 size hooks are used most of the time on 1/32 jig heads.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]