G'ville bass and the christening

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on March 19, 2002 at 22:10:30:

Went out on Tuesday with the intention of breaking in a new boat and motor so that I can run wide open without worry. I figured the river was muddy and the wind seemed to be blowing, so I would just cruise around slowly since logs would probably be floating down river anyways. I wanted to get past the 5 hour critical break in period, but in two weeks, I have managed only an hour or two of run time. Ever tried to ride around in a boat for 5 hours with no where to go? I don't know how much longer I can run at half throttle, vary the throttle, and keep waiting to find out what the new Yamahammer 150 really has in her. Oh, who am I kidding? I molested her on the test drive before I bought it (and a few brief times since). Wide open throttle on the test drive. hehe They didn't mention anything about a break-in time other than varying the throttle, and I guess that is smart, because they got the sale. With half of a 30 gallon fuel tank spent just cruising around today, I am not sure if I will be happy with what she can REALLY do in sustained conditions. I still have my flat bottom with 50HP on standby for calm days.

Anyway, stopped in at Siebold creek, to a long unforgotten stumpy cove on the south side. Floating jerk bait (Rapala) was handy and on the very first cast from my new boat, a 3 pounder. 10 minutes later, another closer to 2 pounds. 5 minutes later, another around 2 pounds. All 3 fish measured, and I fished for about an hour before moving on. Nothing else. I had a tough time with this light jerkbait because of the wind, and in other places up river, it seemed that the coots had ripped up so much milfoil, it was almost impossible to fish with just about any bait.

My brother fished below Guntersville dam today (from the bank with 13 flood gates open) and managed 2 nice hybrids (at least that's what he told me).

The stripers are gonna be red hot in the next weeks. As far as that goes, it seems that the sap is rising any everything is on the move these days. Heck, even bermuda grass is starting to grow. Thank God for living in a place with seasonal changes! Maybe this weekend's cold spell will slow things down just a little so that my schedule can catch up.

It's on... Good Luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]