Re: Crappie At Smith Lake, AL

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike K on March 18, 2002 at 23:20:36:

In Reply to: Crappie At Smith Lake, AL posted by Sean Cotner on March 18, 2002 at 19:46:15:

a great place to start is under your uncle's dock! If he has lights just turn them on at dusk and then wait til about 9 or 10pm and ease down to the dock. There should be crappie just outside the light's perimeter. They will move in and out chasing the small minnows. A small 2" grub and 1/8 or even a 1/16 jig will catch 'em on light line (4-6lb test). Of course, a pole with live minnows or a cork setup on a spinning rig with minnows will ALWAYS catch 'em. As for the other places on the lake, just find some shallow water with some brush or stumps and fish your smoke or chartreuse or white grubs. There are some great flats in the back of some of the creeks, but I'd have to know where you're gonna be on the lake to tell you where to go. My suggestion is to let the other guys run up and down the lake all day, while you visit with your uncle. Then when he gets ready to retire for the night you go on down to the dock... I've done well in Ryan Creek like this for years. Ohh yeah - watch out for the HUGE stripers that also cruise under the lights at night. They can ruin your tackle! Good fishing.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]