Re: Flood gates are open

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on March 17, 2002 at 22:21:00:

In Reply to: Flood gates are open posted by jd on March 17, 2002 at 21:33:18:

Hey jd,

I have never had a problem with the low levels of winter pool on Wheeler. As a matter of fact, I LOVE it when the water is low on
Wheeler! The problem has always been the fluctuations. I understand the fluctuations when we have rain, like now, but I don't
understand the fluctuations when there is no rain and no reasonable explanation for the yo-yo'ing of Wheeler.

I also don't have a problem with the muddy water. I have had some of my best crappie fishing in VERY muddy water on Wheeler.

Again, and I guess I need to emphasize this, it is the RANDOM fluctuations that are hurting the fish and fishing. Especially NOW,
during the spawning season. Mark my words, I am almost willing to put money on it that TVA will rapidly draw down Wheeler just
after the spawn (I sincerely hope I am wrong), even though their own policy/operating guide shows that full summer pool should be
by April 15. This will leave the fertile eggs, once again, out in the sun to die.

My point is, if the excuse for these fluctuations is "flood control", then why can't they do flood control and reasonable
lake level management on Wheeler BEFORE April 15 when the lake is at the lower winter pool (much less water in the reservoir)
when they seem to be able to do reasonable flood control and lake level management after April 15?

Who are they doing the flood control for? Tennessee? Ohio? Mississippi? I don't know given their past history.

Apparently not the residents of Wheeler lake. We DO get a lot of rain AFTER April 15, but the lake is usually held reasonably
stable after summer pool is attained after April 15 unless we get an unusually large amount of rain in the local area. This makes me wonder why we have such irregular and unusual fluctuations during the winter months. Is Wheeler the only "control lake"? No.

Maybe I haven't stated my case very well, but most folks who fish Wheeler regularly year in,
year out, will totally understand where I am coming from.

Don't forget the TVA public meeting about lake levels, etc, on April 2 for Wheeler lake.

http://www.tva.gov/feature_rostudy/pubmeets.htm

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: