G-ville dam stripers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jd on March 17, 2002 at 21:47:57:

I did not go Saturday because the TVA web page said the water would be shut-off at 10:00 am. However, on Sunday, Cooley's grocery on the south side of the dam looked like a Chinese fire drill with people grabbing sassy shad and leadheads and talking about all the fish that were caught on Saturday. They generated all day on Saturday from what I heard.

We fished for about 30 minutes at high noon from the bank near the old cafe point with no luck. Went back and fished for a few hours before dark and managed only one 4-5 pound hybrid. Saw some caught in boats, and saw some stringers with 4-5 nice hybrids. I heard the bite was good early in the morning. TVA started opening flood gates after about thirty minutes and we did not catch another one. Could not get a spot near the point (kids and bream fisherman had the prime real estate and did not know what to do with it! hehe) and fished just downstream in the eddys.

It seems that they are moving in for the spring gorge. Can't wait to get back with the boat when the current is flowing just right. Who knows what all the flood water and the weak cold front will do to 'em this week!?!? It only takes one or two real good days a year to keep me chasing stripers.

Anyone catching any below Wheeler dam yet? The current flow patterns from the generators at Wheeler seem to make for a much smaller fishing area where just one rude person sitting near the current can ruin it for everyone when only one turbine is running. Last year the bites occurred on just about the same days at Wheeler and Guntersville dam from what I could tell and hear.

Good luck!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]