Wheeler crappie - water temps are UP!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on March 17, 2002 at 20:31:26:

I am still not catching a lot of crappie, but the water temps have JUMPED up since I last measured them before the recent rains! Before, I was getting low 50's, now I am getting low 60's! I haven't been out to take a reading from the main river channel, but a lot of the back waters are 60 to 65 degrees.

I still haven't noticed any spawning display on the male crappie, but that should change real quickly! Especially if I ever get on them really good. I am thinking the spawn will be during the next couple of weeks, but I have been wrong many times in the past. In any case, I am already looking forward to the bream/shellcracker season which should be getting under way soon.

BTW, Wheeler lake's level is at 554.25 as I write this and rising. That is only 1.75 feet below maximum summer pool. TVA usually starts raising the levels on March 15 with the target for summer pool being April 15. In the past when the water levels have risen like this TVA has waited until the crappie have spawned and yanked the water down REALLY QUICK! This is about the worst thing that can happen to the crappie and future crappie on Wheeler. I have my fingers crossed but am not holding my breath that they won't do it again this year. (sigh)

Anyway, good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]