Re: CRAPPIE 3-15-02

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on March 15, 2002 at 23:21:52:

In Reply to: CRAPPIE 3-15-02 posted by BOCEPHUS on March 15, 2002 at 23:02:05:

First what lake were you fishing?

Last year the crappie on Wheeler started early (mid january) and were about played out, at least for me, by or before the end of march. This year, they didn't do much for me until just before the first big rain and then slacked off until relatively recently... although I have only had one "banner" day so far.

The water temps, according to my thermometer, are still in the lower 50's and the males haven't shown ANY signs of a spawning display yet. This is the dark coloration of the gill plate and sometimes body of the males when they have made their nest and are trying to attract females or maybe defending a clutch of fertilized eggs on a nest. I also haven't noticed any bloody tails, which would indicate nest building. Of course, I expect this to change quickly as these warmer temps stay around, but the rain we are expected to get may make it harder to stay on the fish once they start the spawn and TVA has had a VERY bad habit of dropping the bottom out of Wheeler just AFTER the spawn for years! (sigh)

This year seems like it will be more like the old timers have always told me about crappie and the spawn. BUT, this will be the first year in many that they have spawned this late on Wheeler, as far as I can tell. BTW, I have noticed the Bradford Pear trees blooming, but haven't seen the Dogwoods blooming. Guess I need to pay more attention?

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]