Re: Rattle Traps 101

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe J. on March 13, 2002 at 20:07:19:

In Reply to: Rattle Traps 101 posted by Rckmn on March 13, 2002 at 16:03:59:

It's hard to have confidence in any lure if you don't catch fish on it! Like James I'm no expert but I have been given some pointers from some very good anglers like Troy J. Last spring every fish I caught until May was on a RatLTrap, mostly 1/4 oz red. I've finally learned that Guntersville is an "area" lake, not a target lake, meaning that the fish are spread out over areas(for the most part) and not just stuck to targets or objects, though some are. I thinks that's probably due to the extensive grassy coves and flats. You need something that can cover alot of water and trigger fish that may be in the upper part of the submerged grass. If the bottom or grass is 1-3 ft deep a 1/4 oz will probably work better. 3-6 ft calls for a 1/2 oz, though you could let a 1/4 oz sink and then retrieve it slowly. One of the main things Troy showed me is that you can rip in a Trap even in 52-54 degree water and still catch fish at times. I honestly don't think color is that big of a deal, as long as its red, shad colored or a bream pattern. Guntersville is usually fairly clear. If you're willing to do it, next time you go to the lake this spring, just take your lipless crankbaits ( I also like the Rattlin Shad by SOB Lures) and leave everything else at home. It's really not that big of a gamble on Guntersville, unless a big cold front just blew through. Tick the top of the grass occasionally (Fireline helps me jerk it free and shake off the grass). A 6:1 speed reel is a help too. All it will take is a couple of bass and then you'll have some faith. Have fun! Joe J.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]