Chargers Re: Trolling Motor Battery

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on March 11, 2002 at 22:18:40:

In Reply to: Re: Trolling Motor Battery posted by Rob G on March 11, 2002 at 21:55:15:

I will have to agree, with my limited experience, that keeping your battery up to "snuff", not only means keeping the water level correct with distilled water, but also having a "smart" charger.

Although I can't make any recommendations for a charger (I have to remove my batteries from the boat and bring them inside to charge. I use a "Battery Tender" - 1.25amp charger, supposedly "smart". The "smart" chargers detect the charge state of the battery and go into a "wait state" until the battery's actual charge state reaches a level that is less than "optimum" for a 12v battery and then re-enters a chargings state, at a lower amperage like a trickle charge... better for your batteries!

I have and know MANY folks who have older Schumacher chargers. Some are 2/6 amp chargers and some are 10amp. The one thing I have always noted about them is that they don't know when to quit. I have had batteries "boiling" using these chargers. Although I still use them when I have to charge quickly, I don't use them without monitoring or using the timing feature found on most Schumacher chargers. However, after "quick" charging with a 6 or 10 amp charger, I place the batteries on the Battery Tender, since it is lower amperage and has, at least SOME, "smart" technology.

Long story short, don't trust Schumacher chargers, at least older ones and maybe newer ones, to be "smart", they aren't.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]