Re: Trolling Motor Battery

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob G on March 11, 2002 at 21:55:15:

In Reply to: Trolling Motor Battery posted by LDBond on March 11, 2002 at 09:27:22:

I have used up a bunch of batteries for a bunch of years now. I have another hobby that eats batteries to power electric winches, our club typically purchases 6 a year locally and I get to help buy another dozen per year up in Indiana at a big event. We have been through stages of spending big bucks on batteries and tried pretty much all of them. I also keep 3 in the boat at any given time. That means 6 around the house, plus the 2 in the car and truck. Oh yeah, I forgot the John Deer.

Bottom line, near as I can tell, is any battery is only as good as the care you give it. Keep it charged, but not overcharged. Keep it topped off with distilled water. Keep the terminals and case as clean as you can. Spend money and get a good charger that has enough sense to know when to quit. I like the Guest chargers. Most any battery works well if you baby it, and they all suck if you don't.

Lately I have found that my local battery store keeps some deep cycle "blems" that I can get for $35.00 each if I'm patient and hit them at the right time. Far as I'm concerned that's the right answer. I've tried the Trojans, Rolls, and others. They are fine if you have lots of extra money and worry about what color the cases are. I'd rather spend the $$ elsewhere.

happy trails - Rob G

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]