TVA lake level fluctuations on Wheeler - no excuse..

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on March 01, 2002 at 23:18:35:

I used to be one of the first to defend TVA for their handling of the waters on Wheeler, but after seeing their actions over the last nearly 3 years, I can no longer defend their actions as they have no logical motivation. Recently, Wheeler has Yo-Yo'd from one to two feet at a time even though there hasn't been ANY rain to speak of locally OR in Tennessee. Relatively recently, I sent an email to TVA about why they were holding the lake level up over 2 feet over normal according to their own operating guide. This was during the FLW tournament. They sent a reply that there was rain in Tennessee (I follow the weather reports religiously as I do TVA's activities concerning lake levels) and their response made absolutely NO SENSE what-so-ever!

Lately, they held the water level up about 1.5 feet above what their OWN operating guide/curve shows that the lake should be at for this time. They could have lowered this level slowly and gradually, but no, they waited until there was the threat of the cold weather and a slight chance of rain to PULL THE PLUG on Wheeler!!! Now, I am not complaining about the lower level, but the fact that TVA arbitrarily raises the Wheeler lake level for a week or more at a time, with no apparent reason (no rain, etc.) and then drops the heck out of it in a day or less when they could gradually draw it down instead, which would be much less detrimental to the fish and fishing on Wheeler.

From now on, you won't see much from me defending the actions of TVA on Wheeler, although I did defend them in the past. TVA has shown their true colors with their actions since the first of this year. When we had rain across the northern end of the state, I could understand their actions, but for the life of me, I can't understand their actions over the last several weeks.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]