Re: Carolina rigging

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by smalliefisher on February 28, 2002 at 17:25:20:

In Reply to: Carolina rigging posted by Mark on February 28, 2002 at 16:44:46:

Man, I don't know if there is enough space to do this but here it goes... Anytime is a good time to throw a c-rig. It is especially good if the fish are not hugging the bottom. Normally, creature baits are the best like lizards, brush hogs, etc... In the winter I like to c-rig the zoom 4" dead ringer or a 4" inch lizard. I generally go to a shorter leader about 3 feet in the winter and can get as long as 7 feet in the summer or when I fish lakes with grass. Most of the time a strike feels like you are hung up on something. They don't "hit" the bait, they just grab it. I take a seven foot rod with 20lb fireline and put a 1/2 or 3/4oz. weight depending on the depth or current, three glass beads and swivel. For my leader, I use 10lb. P-line floroclear. When I use the four inch worm I use a 1/0 hook, no bigger, I don't want to weigh the bait down. When I use a 8" lizard I will use the 3/0 hook. V/M baits float instead of sink like zoom, I have been trying them and having some good results, especially with the new lil' action cat. The secret to a c-rig is that that weight can never leave the bottom, you want it to be making as big of a commotion as it can to attract the bass, when it has the bass' attention the fish then notices the little goodie floating above and eats it. To achieve this, I put put rod out flat or even pointed down some and to my side and drag the bait. I will drag the rod tip three or four feet then stop and reel up the slack on a tight line and repeat. You can use this motion as fast or as slow as you want to, just whatever the fish wants. If you feel like you have hung up against something tighten up a little and if it pulls back a little or doesn't feel "hard" like a stump. Set the hook. A c-rig hookset is not vertical, rather it is a sweeping hook set, it doesn't require a great deal of force, you just have to sweep it far enough to make up for the leader. I can't express how much fireline fusion or power pro braid will help your c-rigging. It helps you detect every strike and be able to tell the difference between stumps or rocks or fish. I heard on guy say he could tell if the fish had brushed his teeth that morning when he hit the braid or fusion line. Just use it a week or two though, because it is so sensitive that you will set the hook on everything until you get used to it. The main thing is confidence, go to your favorite worm hole and once you catch one on a texas rig, change over to the carolina and try different things until you find a setup you have confidence in. Hope this helps, smalliefisher

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]