Weiss Lake Fishing Report for 2-27-2002

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Weiss Lake Guide Service on February 27, 2002 at 21:26:35:

DATE: 2-27-02
LAKE LEVEL: 561.2
NORMAL LEVEL FULL POOL: 564.0
SURFACE TEMP: 52 in am -(On Feb 26) 50 pm
WATER CLARITY: Good

CRAPPIE: I fished Mike & Darrell on Sunday and Monday.Again the fish were right on the bottom. Had 31 on Sunday, a lot
of them really good fish.Monday was supposed to be great weather wise, but it wasn't! The wind whistled.Had 18 and quit
at 1pm so they could go home and go back to work. The color on Sunday was bubble gum but because of the sunshine
on Monday they still hit bubble gum but hit blue/blue/blue better. Fished Harold and JB on Tuesday.It was supposed to
be a 3 day trip.That didn't happen.It was around 40*F here and the wind was 35mph.Fished 4 hours for 1 keeper and 4
short fish.The MASSIVE cold front that is on us now, I cancelled the 3 days fishing.Things don't look good for the next
few days.If you are coming here you are not going to turn lemons into lemonade! I have to fish Friday and Saturday. I got
a sick feeling in my stomach that it ain't going to work. Things are supposed to warm mid week. What will happen in the
men time? You don't want to know. I will post a report on Saturday night when I get off the water.

BASS: STOPPED. FINISHED>DONE IN!
Up until yesterday, we were catching bass in the 2-3 foot water areas.It was much warmer in there and we were catching
them pretty regular.I see bass fishermen fishing the river channel and I haven't seen they catch much. I had the feeling
that if a man threw a chrome and blue Rat'l Trap he might get his arm broke.But, after the cold front you can FORGET it!

CATFISH: Cold weather front has not hurt catfishing.And I do not believe that it will hurt it.

STRIPE: Cannot get a pattern on them.

As I said before, I am eating breakfast at Coyote's in Leesburg.The are closed on Sunday's. I will eat breakfast at Citgo in
Leesburg on Sunday's. I have been going early (6:30) but am going back to 7 am.If I can help you "holler" at me. If you
come down here fishing this weekend you better be able to walk on water backwards!
Be very,very careful upriver.Yes the water is up a little but that even makes it more dangerous.All the coves upriver have a
specific way in and out and even then you need to have a little knowledge about the cove.I can guarantee you, if you do
not know the water, a 1/2 off prop sale would be the BEST thing that could happen.The worst is you could get HURT! I am
sure that Steve & Anita at Riverside will be glad to help you navigate these coves.Even then you better be careful. Once
again Mother Nature has turned her "fickle finger of fate towards us". For all the people that I told that February was a
great month to fish, I apologize. In 15 years I have never seen anything like this.Thanks and Good Fishing (we hope)!
Steve www.weisslakeguideservice.com 256-927-6617

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]