Wheeler Crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ked on February 26, 2002 at 00:07:09:

Fished from 7:00am to 2:00 pm today although I should have quit at 11:00 because that's when they decided to. After catching several small Crappie I stumbled onto sort of a pattern. I was fishing in 13-14 ft of water and casting to the bank and letting the jig come back to the boat on a tight line slowly keeping the slack out. The jig had came along side the boat almost on bottom and was sitting motion-less as I was looking at the black cloud of fish on my depth finder. All of a sudden a good thump and my first keeper at 1 1/2 lbs. Well you know I had to try this again and bam another one. You could not jig it, wiggle it, of even breath on it, they wanted it dead still. Not great numbers but ended up with 9 keepers between 1 - 2 lbs. Caught alot of Bream and a few stripe also. After the wind got up you could forget it, it caused to much movement in the jig and they would not bite. Alot of boats out today and everyone was using minnows that I talked with, with little to no success. 2 keepers in 2 boats was all there was and they said they were barely legal. I've always been a minnow man but this Jig fishing has really hooked me. Water temp was 47-50 degrees. Had best luck with 1/16 oz jig head and white tube. Tryed others but got more hits on this. All in all a good day. Fish were about a foot off bottom. Females had a good row of eggs but not bloody yet so it will still be a few more weeks I think before they really move shallow, especially with the temp predictions in the teens the next few nights. God Bless and Good Fishing ! <><

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]