Eating Crappie

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on February 20, 2002 at 23:41:03:

For many years now, I have been catching crappie and either putting them back or giving them away to friends. I used to filet and freeze those that I didn't eat right away, but I got lazy. All I wanted was the rush of catching crappie! Yesterday, a friend of mine and I caught a small mess of crappie and started talking about food... it was getting close to supper time.

He suggested that we take our small catch and filet them right away, add cole slaw, french fries, hush puppies, etc. Well, we did just that. I guess I had almost forgotten how good crappie are to eat. IMHO, the best eating fish you can catch (even better than sauger for me, although some will argue that point - smile). It is hard to believe that I have gone so many years without actually eating my catch, but it is true. Thanks Dwight, for a great supper and making me think about keeping some of them instead of throwing them back or giving them away! (sharpening up the OLD filet knife)

Although we didn't find any "worms" (eustrongylides - http://google.com/search?hl=en&q=eustrongylides ) we did find a couple of small, hard greyish/greenish "objects" within the meat of one filet which were around the area of the filet that would have been near the bottom of the belly, I think. I didn't actually handle the objects, but they were "fluke" shaped to me. Dwight said they were hard like "gravels". Since these (I think we found 2 of them in this filet) were enclosed inside the meat, I am still not sure nor do I have any clue as to what they are. They were about 1/8th by 3/16ths and "fluke" shaped to my eyes.

Any information about this is appreciated.

I plan on keeping a few crappie in the near future to filet and cook with my son, Stephen. He has never eaten a crappie, but likes fish very much. Maybe this will be the key to getting him to take up fishing! I have been trying to instill the "fishing bug" in him since he was an infant, but so far, it hasn't taken. (sigh)

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]