Re: As I said

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TroyJ on February 14, 2002 at 09:00:48:

In Reply to: FLW on Wheeler posted by Kerry Grissett on February 13, 2002 at 21:18:08:

I see it from both ends. I do know a lot of very courteous and safe tournament anglers, both pro and non-pro. It is inaccurate to think that they or their sponsors all do not care about saftey. The majority of them do, and when they are not fishing tournaments, they also have their kids out on the water, so they know. If you have a problem with someone on the water, it is up to you to do something about it. Sorry, but again I've seen some of the worst offenses, rude and dangerous behavior by non-tournament anglers in many different types of boats. It is up to us to do something about it, unless we decide we want water patrol boats out there 24/7 and every 1/4 mile. Major tournament organizations do a lot to get boaters to be safe, but just like on the roadways in cars, not everyone gets the message.

It's also worth mentioning that major tournament organizations such as BASS have active lobbies and have taken direct action many times to improve our fisheries. BASS and the Federation in cooperation with local anglers are the reason all the grass is now not being wiped out with chemical pollutants on Guntersville. It took the powerful lobby and the power that BASS has with the press to help bring the deal hammered out with TVA and landowner interests to the table. That's just one direct example of conservation efforts made by these organizations. Why? Because the pros take their kids fishing also, and many are active, and spend more money than many can imagine to help protect the future of fishing. Bash them if you want, but they do more than you know.

Discussing the issue on the net is a good thing, but I will say this, anger, hatred and name calling won't get the problem solved. No one respects or will listen to that, not the water patrol, not the USCG, not the pros or their sponsors. I won't be a part of a group that just wants to resort to bashing. Common sense should be used both on and OFF the water.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]