Decatur Crappie - Hwy 31 causeway and Day park

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on February 02, 2002 at 21:30:55:

I went to Walmart today and the checkout girl, noticing the assortment of lures I was purchasing, said that she heard on the radio that they were catching a LOT of crappie on the Hwy 31 causeway at Decatur.

Well, let me set the record straight. Don't believe everything you hear or read or see, for that matter. I have been to the pumps (Day Park) and the causeway almost daily for the last week and only a scant few crappie are being taken. Although you may have seen a number of cars and people at Day park and the Hwy 31 causway during the 70+ degree days, not much was happening. There were a lot of Bowfin (called "scaly-cats" by the locals, but they are not catfish) and large shad. The shad are the type that you often see trimming the rocks of algae. You couldn't work a jig without snagging them at times. No threadfin shad.

Some crappie were being caught, but it was not anywhere near what I would call good fishing. I haven't stayed long after dark any night, so I can't speak for night fishing in general, but the regulars who fish the area tell me that they just haven't come in and turned on. This area used to be a prime spot for crappie this time of year, but since the millfoil on the east side of the causeway was killed and the fact that they closed off access to the crappie at the pumps for nearly 10 years during the prime spawning period (last year and this year may be the start of a turn around on that since they do have the gates open now) has nearly killed the crappie action. (sigh)

Who knows? The next couple of weeks may be the time to get them, but any reports you see about this area for the last couple of weeks that say they are "tearing them up" are completely bogus and you should remember the source of that info for future reference as being totally unreliable, if not totally bogus.

Good luck and good fishin'

Kerry

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]