Re: Reelfoot Lake

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Murray on January 31, 2002 at 20:37:38:

In Reply to: Reelfoot Lake posted by Dub on January 30, 2002 at 20:19:31:

I haven't been to Reelfoot in years, but i'll assume that a lot of conditions are the same as then. The lake is a sunken forest with flooded cypress trees just below the surface in most places. Traditional boats with outboard motors are useless and the craft of choice is the "Reelfoot Lake Boat"; you've got to see one to believe the design. Don't know about now, but you used to be able to rent the boats at several locations on the lake.

The bream and crappie fishing is outstanding. We really used to slay them in April by using a 10 to 12' fiberglass pole with a 30" piece of mono line attached to the tip. The lure of choice was a small jig. We would slowly scull the boat along the standing cypress timber and bounce the jig around the base of the flooded tree and into the cypress knees. Typically we caught bream, crappie, yellow bass and occasionally a good catfish would put a lot of stress on that shorth length of line and light weight pole. That's just one method for Reelfoot, but its my favorite.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]