Re: Can anyone explain???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kerry Grissett on January 28, 2002 at 00:01:25:

In Reply to: Can anyone explain??? posted by LJ on January 27, 2002 at 23:36:29:

In defense of TVA, Wilson Lake is one of/if not the smallest lakes in the Tennessee river chain of lakes. Shoals creek
experienced the wrath of the rains from the Shoals creek watershed. This extends into Tennessee where there was over 12
inches of rain in less than 48 hours in some places. Even if TVA had the water down 4 feet below winter pool, you would have
seen flooding at Shoals creek given the quantity of water that was coming down. Wheeler and Pickwick have a "draw down" of 6
feet while Wilson has only 3 feet and Guntersville has 2 feet. This is based on the difference between winter and summer pool. Don't think that I haven't experienced similar flooding because I did in Decamber 1990 and February 1991 here on Wheeler.

In any event, Wheeler and Pickwick can handle more water and TVA uses them that way. Wilson is so small that it doesn't really
enter into the equation much and Gunterville lake, although it has a large acreage is not used as a control lake for "some"
reason... (I don't really know why, but I have a few guesses)...

McFarland is in the tailwaters of Wilson dam and flooding is more apparent direcly below all the TVA dams given the recent
rainfall.

Good luck and good fishin'

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]