Re: suspending jerk baits

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TroyJ on January 24, 2002 at 23:38:03:

In Reply to: suspending jerk baits posted by Andrew on January 24, 2002 at 21:45:22:

Suspending jerkbaits are hard plastic minnow baits weighted to keep them from floating back up when paused, and allow them to stay still without sinking. They usually go down from 4 to 6 feet. There are several good styles on the market. The size and style will determine how many hooks they have. A 4-1/2" suspending pro Rogue made by Smithwick (Pradco) is one of my favorites. I also like the suspending Husky Jerks made by Rapala. They range in price from 4 to 6 bucks depending on where you get them. I generally do not like the high-dollar baits as they usually don't perform up to the level of their price. However, the Lucky Craft jerkbaits, around 15 bucks each are very impressive, and perform flawlessly. They require very little tuning and have a consistent action. They also have much better natural colors. Action and tuning seems to vary from bait to bait in both the Smithwick and Rapala brands, but I can usually tune them and they don't break the bank.

They work great in cold. clear water and are perfect for big smallmouth. I have won tournaments on them however with largemouth as well. Now through the spawn is the time to use them, but again, clear water seems to be better, and that may be a while after all this rain. Working them on steep bluffs, sea-walls, grass lines, etc. Anywhere off the edge of a drop is good. They will work over grass flats as well. Reeling it down a few cranks, then twiching and pausing the bait is the deal. Sometimes letting it "suspend" at rest for several seconds between movements. The work great on spinning gear, 10-12 lb line. I throw them on regular bass casting reels but use a rod that has a little softer tip to help with the action.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ North Alabama Fishing Forum ] [ FAQ ]